Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Way to Go Mum !!!!

I turned over my calender today here near my computer desk and a beautiful brown bear greeted me. I was enthralled and amused when I read the description.
~~
Brown bears, also known as grizzly bears, begin a yearly ritual each fall. These creatures spend most of their days eating in preparation for the winter hibernation that lies ahead. Brown bears can consume as much as 90 pounds of food each day.
~~
The female brown bear will enter her den pregnant and will typically be carrying 2 or 3 cubs. Provided she eats enough food during the fall to obtain an adequate fat reserve, the embryos will develop as the mother sleeps.
~
The baby cubs are born after about two months. It is typical that the mother will sleep through the entire process!!! Once they are born, the cubs crawl around their mother and begin to nurse, with mama bear asleep all the while.
~~
The mother's milk contains a lot of fat and calories. This allows the cubs to grow quickly so that by the time the mother wakes, they will be able to go along with her as she leaves the den in the springtime.
~~
How beautiful and wonderous. Mum sleeps through the entire birthing process... I wonder if she even knows she's pregant when she goes into her den for the long winter. What a surprise if she doesn't know... to wake up and find a couple of little dudes beside you .... how gorgeous. I laughed when I read the bit about sleeping through the birth. God bless them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment