Sunday, March 6, 2011

Alaska's famed Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race officially gets under way today  after a ceremonial start to a 1,000-mile competition that takes mushers through some of the harshest conditions imaginable.

Sixty-two teams are competing this year and will travel more than 1,150 miles across the Arctic for a chance at $50,400 and a new truck.
They sped through Anchorage Saturday to the sounds of racing paws and cheering crowds.

God bless these wonderful and clever dogs.  It always worries me till the race is done. It's so dangerous and treacherous but having seen a dog sled race here in the town where I live I was very surprised at how excited the dogs get and how impatient they are to get going.  I was also surprised at how much smaller they were than what I'd expected.  With their little booties on to keep their feet from hurting it was quite the sight to see.   Stay safe sweet ones.....  and I hope the weather behaves enough to allow you a safe journey.  It' such a horrible long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment