Saturday, October 25, 2014

Beautiful morning today .. misty and quiet, serene and chilly ... looking out over the field I saw the deer coming to visit the bird feeders.  There were 7 in their little group and it was wonderful to see them as we  usually do when winter is nearly upon us.  Sadly I could hear gun shots going off because hunting season is in full mode. Luckily the deer were close to our town and they are not allowed to be shot so close to the populated area.  I wish all the deer in British Columbia would come to the field and stay safe.  Breaks my heart to know many of them will die this season.  

 I also had a visit from an absolutely gorgeous bird called a Stellar Jay and he's about half the size of a crow and has the most magnificent coloured feathers of black and gradually going into the brightest blue ... I'd never seen one before and he's full of energy and interest for me to give him peanuts in their shells which he diligently takes and positions into the soft lawn which is covered with leaves. He pushes the peanut into the soft earth with his beak and pecks at it like a wood pecker, driving it as deep as it will go then he covers it with some of the leaves and flies back to the tree for me to give him more nuts.    I guess by his activities he'll be around all winter now to claim his food stash once the snow gets deep and the weather is really cold.   I love him... he's very special and clever.  I'm glad I'll be seeing him during the long winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment